Reflection on: Citizen Kane

Posted on September 30, 2010 
Filed under Uncategorized

Citizen Kane was not as good as I expected, however, I kind of saw that coming.  How can you live up to the expectations of being the greatest film of all time, especially to someone who has seen thousands.  To say it wasn’t good would be an offense to filmmakers everywhere so, off a first time viewing I’d probably give it a B-B+, which is pretty high.

I certainly see the possibility as well, that over time, and with some more viewings, I could really come to love this film.  It’s tough to grasp everything from a first time viewing.

My favorite aspect of the film was how it played off current time and told the story of someone’s life throughout the movie.  I feel like these types of sequences is what can make a movie great and truly expose a great actor in a part.  In this case, Orson Welles takes on Kane (or Hearst, however you want to look at it) and does a magnificent job of portraying him not only in his younger years but his older ones as well.

If this film was to be written today, as an agent I think i would only have to hear the premise to be instantly intrigued for one of my bigger clients.  The range that this film offers to its main star is something that is priceless.  Which brings me to wonder, what if this film had been written today, would it have even found its way to the big screen?  The heart in me wants to think yes, but the mind is saying doubtful.  To think of all those original scripts that float around Hollywood and are never made due to the money making minds of studios.

Comments

3 Responses to “Reflection on: Citizen Kane”

1.  nyminded on October 3rd, 2010 12:59 pm

I absolutely understand how you feel about the film especially screening it for the first time. Your assumption about the film and the success or if it would even be made today is fair because we know that when it was released in 1941 it had very little box office success. The story and the skillful acting is all complimentary in my opinion. Any big name actor or actor that is looking to make a name for himself would die for the opportunity to play such a versatile roll. All of these elements and how they go well together is exactly why this film is amazing due to Orson Welles. The fact that Welles never directed a film before and he skipped the climbing of the studio ladder because of his broadcasting and theatrical background is enough to make me run to the nearest RKO theatre and watch it.

Orson Welles used camera movement, strategic placement with in the frame, lighting and sound to tell the story which is why I feel this movie is great. From the lighting in the room at the beginning with the reporters watching the news reel, the way the light from the projector only hits the actors from behind making it so that we barely see their faces. The extreme low angle shots after Kane looses the election, it is so low we can see a piece of confetti blowing infront of the camera by Kane’s foot. These are all aspects of the film that are not necessarily the ingredients for a huge box office hit but it is an absolute mind blowing experience for me as a film major interested in directing and cinematography.

2.  Amy Herzog on October 12th, 2010 5:45 pm

It’s really fun to think about a film as iconic as Citizen Kane from a contemporary perspective, particularly that of an agent! So much of the way a film evolves has to do with the way a studio is structured, and the wheelings and dealings that go into securing contracts, casting, etc. We think about directors working in a vacuum, but everything we see is shaped by the industrial and economic conditions under which they work.

3.  abethon on October 13th, 2010 9:48 pm

I completely agree. In my opinion, nowadays, with the extreme costs it takes to make a film, it is tough to realize the true talent of a director. There are only a few, such as Cameron, Scorsese, Chris Nolan, etc. that we are really able to see there true artistic talents. Many struggle to even get there films made and even directors such as Chris Nolan need to do big budget franchises like Batman to get free reign into doing “soul” projects like Inception and Avatar.

In the past I feel that the way that movies were made allowed for the artistic talents of directors to show through much more. Nowadays, I don’t even see many movies that I feel are worth the money I pay at the theater, let alone showing any artistic value. Essentially, it is all about the money, like it has always been. However, what sells today is basically sequels and remakes.