Reflection: Written on the Wind

Posted on November 8, 2010 
Filed under Uncategorized

Honestly, I sat here for about an hour and wrote 2 paragraphs about Written on the Wind.  I then erased the whole thing because I hated what I wrote and it just seemed so scripted or “essayish.”  No one on here wants to read a boring essay.

So I decided to just state my bluntly honest opinion about Sirk and the film that we watched.  In my opinion, Sirk’s films are quite captivating, and it’s also nice to have watched something in color 😉 .  I feel that his usage of color is somewhat over the top as are the personalities of the characters that he depicts throughout the story.  I’ve seen a few Sirk films and they all seem to be very similar, not only in the makeup of the mise-en-scene but in the intended messages as well.

In today’s society I think some of his films would be absolute failures and I think other’s would be successes.  I do believe that if Written on the Wind was made today it would be able to hold up and compete at the box office because it contains so many characters that have such strong and attractive personalities.

Anyways, I’m not much for writing today as for some reason my allergies are going insane and I can’t stop sneezing.  But I’d love to hear everyone’s opinion on this film!

PEACE

Adam B.

Comments

4 Responses to “Reflection: Written on the Wind”

1.  rrudman100 on November 17th, 2010 10:43 pm

I agree that the colors in this film are little abnormally intense, but I think that it’s kind of important in melodramas. It is a specific genre that likes to put emphasis on the emotions, and color creates an emotion in its audience.

2.  abethon on November 18th, 2010 1:12 pm

Agree completely, I wasn’t attempting to “knock” the style of melodrama but was just commenting on the visuals that I grasped.

Similar to film noir, melodramas have their own way of doing things and expressing the intended messages.

3.  Alejandrina Parsells on June 27th, 2014 6:29 am

I have to tell you that it’s hard to find your articles in google,
    i found this one on 15 spot, you should build some quality backlinks in order
    to rank your webiste, i know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tips
    and tricks

4.  Ernest on August 30th, 2014 10:57 pm

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a
    lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates unique, google friendly posts in seconds,
    just type in google – laranitas free content source