Reflection On: Pather Panchali – Song of the Little Road

Posted on November 22, 2010 
Filed under Uncategorized

I felt that this film was comparable to Ozu’s “Early Summer.”  It focused on the little things in life rather than a bigger, and dare I say, more interesting plot line.  I do realize that this “Apu Trilogy” has become one of the most significant pieces of film culture to come from India, however I felt it lacked a true “Bollywood” feel.

Some of the things that were missing from this, in which I feel are the most attractive aspects of “Bollywood” were the colors (mainly due to the B&W) and the song/dance routines that are often featured.  Bollywood may sound like Hollywood but in reality the typical films from each have incredible differences.  The mainstreamed Hollywood films have become plots that can create attractive trailers and are mostly skin deep.  Very rarely do we see a Hollywood styled film that tackles ideals of such depth.  However, I have found that with many of the Bollywood films I watch, that they generally have incredibly complex storylines.  In addition, the films generally run around 3-4 hours and contain choreographed dances along with original songs and exuberant colors.

“Pather Panchali” did not embrace enough of these to feed “Bollywood” hunger as it really only delved into the complex storyline part.  In my opinion, Bollywood has so much more than regular films.  You can almost taste the culture by watching the typical films they create.

Comments

One Response to “Reflection On: Pather Panchali – Song of the Little Road”

1.  maureen on December 5th, 2010 1:25 pm

I love how clearly you distinguish Bollywood from Hollywood. It’s something so simple and easy to miss considering Bollywood IS usually identified with drama, color, and musicals. When I think Bollywood, I think of creative theatrics as well as a fun plot but, even with my limited experience of watching such films, I also understand the depth and emotion a viewer is forced to feel because of these techniques. In Hollywood, everything is sensationalized to the point where the audience is, ironically, desensitized to such content as violence, murder, sex, etc. With Bollywood, as dramatic and fun-filled as the films seem, there is still a message being relayed to the audience who, in my opinion, connect more BECAUSE of the careful use of drama.