Reflection On: Bonnie & Clyde

Posted on December 10, 2010 
Filed under Uncategorized

Far and away my favorite movie of the semester (besides Psycho but I’m not counting that since I’ve seen it a million times).  It felt like this movie went  by in a blink, I really enjoyed it that much.  I love the way it incorporated not only action but relevant, in  depth dialogue as well.

One of the most intriguing things about this film, in my opinion, was the cast as well.  The two main stars Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway were flanked by Gene Hackman and Gene Wilder.  The only one of these actors who was even an established name at that point was Warren Beatty.  This film not only put him on the star map but all of the others as well who would go on to have great Hollywood careers, arguably two of the best ever for Beatty and Dunaway.

What amazed me the most was how the character of Clyde had trouble with his sex life.  Because Beatty was not as well known at the time as he would become, this character trait went over perfectly with audiences and was completely believable.  However, I wonder, had this film been made a couple years later, after Beatty would become known as one of the most sexually active actors , if not the most, how believable this trait would have been.

Dunaway’s career seemed to catch wildfire right after this film was released.  Starring in classics like Chinatown, The Thomas Crown Affair and winning an oscar for Network, she became an actress to admire.  If you watch her in the role of Bonnie though and see some of her late films as she matured it is easily recognizable that she was still an amateur at this point.  I recently watched a film that she was in with Angelina Jolie called “Gia.”  Although she is much older at this point it is easy to see what skill and range she has as an actress.

Anyways I’ll leave it at that and don’t be surprised if in a few years we see the remake of Bonnie and Clyde.  Could definitely see Johnny Depp taking on the main role.  I’m not a big fan of remakes but it would sure be one I would look forward to as the good original content today is few and far between.  Let’s just hope it’s half as good as the original!

PEACE

Comments

4 Responses to “Reflection On: Bonnie & Clyde”

1.  nyminded on December 13th, 2010 3:18 am

The fact the Clyde was not “A Lover Boy” did strike me as something of deeper meaning. Maybe the fact that in reality beatty was a ladies man was the reason for him taking or being offered the role just to make it that much more shocking. I am more convinced that the reason for his lack of sexual urge comes from his time spent in jail at such a young age. He states this in the film that he never had time for it and could never calculate its worth. Then Bonnie being extremely sexual which is how we get introduced to her in the nude and some what appreciating her beauty is great conflicting characteristics that compliment each other.

2.  abethon on December 13th, 2010 6:05 pm

Agreed, although I knew the original plot line before I saw the film, I was still amazed as to how Bonnie forced her way into the heart of Clyde. They were so compatible that beyond this great action film was a love story for the ages.

3.  kris89 on December 14th, 2010 12:44 am

I have to agree that this was one of the best films we’ve watched in class. The only movie I’ve seen with Dunaway was Gia so to see her in this piece was different and she did come off as amateur which is understandable. The ending sequence was by far the best part of the film when they get gunned down. It kind of reminded me of Romeo & Juliet, til death do they part.

4.  best dentist fort worth on November 9th, 2015 3:54 am

best dentist fort worth

Reflection On: Bonnie & Clyde : Film Eyes